Saturday, March 17, 2007

Winter Park Art Festival this Weekend


I live in this charming little town called Winter Park. I first came here to attend Rollins College, which is probably one of the prettiest campuses, besides Stanford, I have ever seen. I eventually did transfer to UF, but moved right back to Winter Park after that.

Rollins anchors one end of this street called Park Ave. Since the late 70's I have seen Park Ave constantly evolve. I have lived on the street, worked there, shopped and partied there, Jeff and I got married there....one of my sisters even adopted it as her street after moving here from New York in the 90's. The businesses come and go....but the charm doesn't.....

I believe the Art Festival, in it's 48th year, gets over 100, 000 visitors over the weekend.

I know most people think of Florida as Disney and Strip Malls... but here is a sample of what Florida is REALLY like when you get off the Interstates and explore the downtowns of the older towns.

Brick Streets, 200+ year old Oaks, Bustling Downtowns and Historic Buildings.

I have a postcard of the courtyard depicted in the poster above....it's from the early 20th Century. No Mickey Mouse here.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: