Saturday, October 21, 2006

The Never Ending News Cycle

OK...this has been a Roller Coaster hasn't it? My news has been up and down. I've got some news to share.

I finally found out why I have been talking backwards in Swedish and can hear my neighbor's alarm clock going off at 5:30. It seems I have developed bionic powers.

One of the numerous reasons I switched to MD Anderson was I wasn't getting the scans I needed or requested. 75% of women with my particular pathology get metastasis to the brain. Guess what? Couldn't get a damn brain scan w/o symptoms....I guess i could have faked it, but that is ridiculous.

Well, I have been having symptoms for a few weeks and we did a Brain MRI at MD Anderson on Tuesday night. Wednesday (Oct 17th) morning my new Oncologist called to tell me I have numerous brain tumors. 15 maybe? One or two pretty large. 'SPLAINS A LOT.

By Friday (Oct 20th) I have already gone through 2 doses of what they call Whole Brain Radiation (WBR). I already feel better. I will have 3 weeks (15 business days) of this..so two down already!

I have been prescribed some steroids which will help the swelling go down in cerebellum and that is already helping...BUT my head is going to swell in a little while....so now Audra and I can share hats :)

It looks like after I have the radiation ...I will be sportin’ a reverse mohawk for while...yes I said a reverse mohawk.

Radiation does NOT cause hair loss usually...that is chemo... UNLESSS you are getting WBR. I will be shaving my head soon and will have another excuse to get a new wig! SO glad I dumped a bunch of money at the hair salon last week!!! Wonder if I can get my money back :)

Rest of my body is doing ok...allother spots are stable and not growing...so we just have to focus on this for while.

FAIR WARNING!...I can sometime see email and computer...like this morning I seem to be ok...but most of the time I cannot read emails very well. Jeff's been helping a great deal. If you want his email address let me know! Audra and my Sister Stacy have been great about getting news out too...so they are helping me out a lot as well.

And I just hate it hate it when I don't send a thank you card out right away...makes me crazy. So you may not hear from me off the bat. You can always call me on my cell...no tears or shouting please! Unless it's a GO GATORS!!!!!

I'm not one to give bad news....but I am SO relieved to find out what was causing my pain the last month or so.

PLUS my Lady Diamonds....I have a NEW excuse for my complete lack of equilibrium and my uncanny ability to take blurry digital pictures! It wasn't the alcohol! I should have been drinking up even more!!!!

Jody you HAVE to come up with a funny Indian name for tribes that have reverse mohawks...(No reference to Seminoles please)

And to my YSC sisters...couldn't do this without you...first thing I do when I wake up and last thing I do before going to bed is to read what you all are saying to me and to each other. You are a blessing to me in so many ways.

Here we go again....maybe third time is a charm.


:) Nancy

1 comment:

Rick said...

Nancy:

First, Happy Birthday!!!!!

Second, you're amazing. And I don't just mean the talking backward in Swedish thing.

"My dear, is there anything you can't do?"

Does this mean you can also speak forward in Swedish? And query, wouldn't speaking Swedish backwards sound the same as forwards? It just wouldn't make any sense. :-)

Perhaps there was a splinter tribe of Mohawk indians who wore their hair in reverse. Maybe they thought the straight mohawk was vain. Or maybe they wanted to stand out at powows. Sadly, the reverse mohawk is really just a preview of the middle aged-man look. So you really are breaking new ground. :-) Maybe those indians just wanted to look older. There are many possible explanations. Maybe they were just dyslexic. Thus, I might simply call them the Dyslexic Indians.

Rick